17+33.

Go ahead, solve it.

Come on, you can do it! I know few college students like math, but you’ve got this. Okay, now find another strategy. Find a new way to get your answer. Here’s some examples:

1. Line up the numbers just like you were taught in school.
  2. Subtract 3 from the thirty three and add it tithe seventeen. Now it’s twenty plus thirty.
  3. Add ten and 33. Add the 7.

Can you think of any more?

Now your brain maybe hurting, and you may complain that this is too hard. It’s okay. Practice will help you out. This is called Number Sense and it’s how math is being taught in school nowadays. Don’t you just feel smarter by knowing three different ways to solve the above problem?

Twice a week I get to go to my class “Math in the Elementary School” and solve problems like this one. I must admit that I like math, and this is still my favorite class. Math becomes valuable, relevant, and important to students if it is taught correctly. It is no longer just for nerds, but for every person who wants to succeed at life. When I leave class, I am excited to go out and change the lives of my students. Life change, hopefully by teaching them to enjoy math, but also by sharing with them the unconditional love of Jesus.

Evaluate your day. What activity gets you fired up and excited? What do you like doing just for fun? How can you share this activity with others? It is when we are most passionate that we are most influential. Use your hobby, your talents, your gifts to love others as Christ did. I’m using math… What about you?

Your sister,
Chesney