I still cannot believe I am beginning my sophomore year of college at Arizona Christian University! It feels like just yesterday I was walking through the dorm doors with all of my belongings and joining the campus family. At the time, it felt like such a huge change in my life: I moved to a new environment, I was forced to meet new people, I was on my own for the first time, and I was starting college. Wow! What a scary place to be! However, I could not have been more wrong. Arizona Christian University has given me more opportunities than I could count on all my fingers and toes. When choosing my college a year and a half ago, my mind was completely set on Northern Arizona University – but ACU just offered so much more. I have unity, community, opportunity, and JESUS all in one place! Why would I ever even consider anything else?

I am now involved in student leadership, starting ACU’s first newspaper with tons of faculty support, and still succeeding in all of my classes. Arizona Christian is more than just a university. I am more than a student number or file. I am a person, a name, a face, and best of all, a testimony of Christ. I never imagined I would find myself in the position I am in, and I feel so blessed to be a part of a community that shares the same heart, passion, and love for God. Stepping into college first seemed like a scary experience, but I found that the minute I took a step into the oblivion, the more I trusted the Lord in my life.

God has made me a new creation! The old is gone, and the new has come! Arizona Christian University has helped me (and is still helping me) transform into the God-honoring woman that I have always wanted to become. It is a constant maturing and growing process, and I am filled with gratitude. As I start this new year, I am reminded of Isaiah 43:18-19: “Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing…I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”

Phoenix may be a desert, but ACU is my river, and the Lord is always my cool drink of water.

In Christ,
Kayla Koehn